Wednesday, February 24, 2010

she loves you, yeah yeah yeah....



Today I subbed for a 4th grade class and got to see the school's chorus perform Beatles' songs. Elementary children singing Beatles' music: MOST ADORABLE THING EVER. And when they began "Here Comes the Sun"... Totally Ridiculous Substitute got tears in her eyes. I know, I know...what's wrong with me? (if I had a nickel every time I was asked that...) it's not just that I love that song, it's that elementary school kids singing or getting awards on stage never cease to melt my heart. And as a sub, I've been to so many of these things, and it never stops being adorable. I don't even know most of these kids, but there's nothing sweeter than seeing those toothless grins and pigtails holding their "Homework Excellence" award proudly on stage, or hearing a group of kindergarteners sing "What a Wonderful World" (and yes, that DID reduce me to tears, mostly because my own little niece was part of it and I think she's the center of the known universe and everything she does is made of sunshine and rainbows and glitter).

But the kids today stole my heart. Their awkward robotic dancing to "Twist & Shout" and the group of 5th grade boys who are just at the brink of thinking they're too cool for these kind of shenanigans singing shyly to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." These are the moments that parents videotape so everyone can look back in a while and laugh. Because kids are hilarious. They are the funniest, craziest creatures.


I think that's why I love my job so much. I get to see these moments all the time. And for every instance of them being total Olympic Gold, Grade A buttheads, they redeem themselves with moments of such cuteness that you forget that 20 minutes ago, you wanted to duct-tape their mouths shut.

So thank you, Beatles, for providing another venue for children to win over teachers' hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment