Friday, May 7, 2010

Like Peanuts

Today it was kindergarten. Lots of hyper children with big heads, big ears, chubby cheeks and missing teeth. Hilarious.

I watched a pencil exchange between two little boys.

"Thank you."
"You knock 'em"

A little girl sitting next to me while working on her phonics sheet said "That's Donovan over there. He's new. He smells like peanuts."
The boy next to her said "Like peanuts?"
She was adamant. "He has peanut breath."

Wouldn't it be kind of fun to introduce people by the way they smell? "This is Peter. He smells like Drakkar Noir. This is Rhonda. She smells like bacon."

Another little girl told me right away "My grandma passed away." I sympathetically said "Oh, I'm so sorry." She said "It's okay. You didn't know."


Ten minutes later, as her group colored at my center, she turned to me and said "Guess what?"
"What?"

"Chicken butt."

She burst into giggles. I did, too. They're so weird, I love it. It's like a I get paid to work with small, crazy people. Exhausting, but fun.

6 comments:

  1. "You knock 'em." How absolutely adorable. How does one discipline people so cute? (Probably by keeping in mind that they can turn into cute little demons on a dime...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's SO HARD to be strict with them. They are just adorable and little. I mostly redirect or say things like "Now do we throw sand at our friends?" or "Is that how we sit in our seat?" (the answer is always no and they know it)

    Otherwise the cuteness kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower of you blog! I substitute too and am always cracking up at some of the things the kids say...when I'm not constantly trying to have control of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Another sub! Glad to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My student LOVES "guess what" "chicken butt"...so much that he actually made a room full of 1st graders sick of it! I had to laugh when the other kids just responded to his "guess what" with "ugh, I already know. just stop it."

    now that's talent. wearing out a joke for 7 year olds.

    and you know I respect you a ton--I get antsy when they have me cover a lunch for 30 minutes...even if it's MY class that I love. I vastly prefer small groups.

    And I should remember to read your blog more, now that you've stopped posting these fun teacher stories as much on LJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot, my high school students still love the "chicken butt" joke -- well, mostly just the boys!
    Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete